June 2016 – Parish Council Meeting Minutes

Minutes of the Meeting of Stewkley Parish Council held in the Village Hall
On Monday 6 June 2016 at 7.30pm

Attendees: Cllr J Wodey (Chair), Cllr B Bottomley, Cllr M Burgess, Cllr K Higgins, Cllr G Morgan, Cllr C Pragnell, Cllr Pryke, Cllr P Smith, Janette Eustace (clerk) and five members of the public

1. Receive Apologies: Cllr A Kennedy, Cllr J Blake, PCSO Paula Boston

2. Open Forum: (Adjournment).

3. Declaration of interest in items on the agenda: There were none

4. To confirm the minutes of the previous PC Meeting on 3 May and deal with any matters arising that
are not covered on the agenda. The minutes were agreed. Matters Arising – Cllr Higgins reported that contact had been made in connection with increased transport movements at Wing Poultry Farm.

5. Planning: To discuss planning applications and make recommendations:
a. 16/01733/COUAR – Old Lower Dean Farm Dean Road – conversion of one agricultural building into a dwelling house – the Council RESOLVED TO SUPPORT the application, subject to the dwelling being classified for agricultural use only
b. 16/01604/APP – 55 Dove Street – Two storey side and single storey side extensions – the Council RESOLVED TO SUPPORT the application
c. 16/01419/APP – Stewkley Recreation Ground Soulbury Road – Erection of a single storey scout hut – the Council RESOLVED TO SUPPORT the application subject to the submission of a further location map showing the site of the scout hut rather than whole area of the recreation ground.
d. 16/01792/APP – 55 High Street South – Two storey side and single storey rear extension (Amendment to planning permission 15/02499/APP) – the Council RESOLVED TO SUPPORT the application.
e. 16/01960/APP – 28 Dunton Road – Construction of 3 bed dwelling with single garage. – the Council RESOLVED TO OBJECT to the application on the following grounds:
• The proposed development is on agricultural land situated beyond the built up confines of the settlement
• The proposed development is beyond the established linear pattern of development along Dunton Road
• The site is bounded by agricultural fields and residential gardens and thus is not substantially enclosed by existing development
• Piecemeal additions into the countryside create a potential precedent for future such development without an overview of the need and location for such dwellings
• The development will result in substantial harm to the rural landscape and the settlement characteristics of Stewkley, including its Conservation Area which directly bounds the site. This is contrary to Policy GP53 of the AVDLP which states that ‘proposals for development will not be permitted if they cause harm to the character or appearance of Conservation Areas, their settings or any associated views of or from the Conservation Area. Proposals for development or redevelopment must respect the historic layout, scale and form of buildings, street patterns, open spaces and natural features in the Conservation Area that contribute to its character and appearance’.

6. To discuss correspondence and communication received since last meeting and decide on any actions:
a. Fly the flag for Armed Forces Day – 20 June – it was agreed that an email would be sent to the church. ACTION: JE
b. Local Area Forum –next meeting will be on the 9 June at St. Michaels CE Combined. Cllrs Wodey, Smith to attend. Cllr Higgins identified a range of issues to be addressed if he was unable to attend in person.
c. Nominations for Sports Awards 2016. It was reported that the Clerk had forwarded the email to the School and the Rec.
d. Parish On-Line – public map module – it was agreed that this was not needed at the current time.
e. BMKALC – meeting to seek PC views on BCC proposal to develop unitary authority – 7 June Green Park – the meeting was noted.
f. Second quotation for removal of trees in Fishweir. Cllrs agreed to accept the lowest quote from Duncan Tomblin. The work is now to be scheduled. ACTION: JE

7. Neighbourhood Plan: To receive an update from the Steering group and agree any actions arising. There were no further developments to report since the previous update in May other than the progress being made by individual working groups that were all working hard to address the key issues in their areas, within the agreed timelines. The Chairman of the Steering Group, Neil Dickens reported that he would be meeting with all neighbouring Parish Councils over the next 4-6 weeks to consult, provide an update on progress and seek views and comments. Cllrs requested a standard template for future updates. The Clerk to circulate a draft for approval. ACTION: JE

8. Audit of Accounts for the Year Ended 31 March 2016 –the Annual Return was reviewed and approved.

9. Best Kept Village: To consider any remaining actions. An update report was presented highlighting that all actions either had been or were due to be completed before the judging. Sincere thanks were extended to everyone involved.

10. Broadband: To discuss the proposal from AV Broadband and agree any actions arising. The proposal for fibre network broadband services from AV Broadband was outlined and the Council agreed to support it. Customers would have a dedicated fibre between their house and the provider’s equipment with speeds of approx. 100 Mb/s. Details and costs had been outlined in the June edition of the Grapevine. A commitment from around 110 villagers would be needed to get the project off the ground. Cllr Higgins agreed to be the Champion for Stewkley. In relation to problems with BT Broadband, Cllr Higgins reported that he was continuing to follow up complaints and would be writing to Ofcom, Connected Counties and John Bercow.                                                                                                                       ACTION: KH

11. Recreation Ground:
a) Sports Club Occupation Agreement – Councillors consented to a Licence to Occupy of the Pavilion for Stewkley Sports Club. Stewkley Recreation Association had produced a draft for the PC to review, however Councillors emphasised that the wording of the Licence to Occupy was the responsibility of Stewkley Recreation Ground Association, which should satisfy itself regarding the legal conditions of issuing such a Licence. Councillors pointed out that the document should have the title ‘Licence to Occupy’ and not ‘Agreement to Occupy’ so that it was in line with Clause 4.10 in the Lease.

b) To note progress towards the pavilion refurbishment. It was reported that plans for the internal layout had been updated to reduce costs. A final meeting to approve the design was planned for 14 June and detailed building specification drawings would then be produced to get updated estimates for the works.

12. Highways, Footways and Footpaths Lighting – to note highways issues and agree any actions arising
a. The road closure order for the High Street was noted
b. Faulty streetlamps which are on during the day have been reported in Manor Drive and Tythe Close. To keep costs to a minimum, repairs will be carried out when an engineer is in the local area. Faults with the bollard lights in the path from the High Street to Griffin Field have also been reported and are awaiting repair.
c. Some concerns were raised about grass cutting and overgrown ditches. Cllr Bottomley agreed to mark the areas of concern on a map to share with SEA. Grass cutting and maintenance to be on the next PC agenda.
d. Cllr Bottomley had produced plans for replacing all the litter bins in the village. Cllrs reviewed the proposals and made suggestions about the size and type of mounting at each location. A member of the public had reported concern about putting dog waste into the litter bins because birds had been seen pecking in the rubbish. The new litter bins would have lids which would help prevent this from happening. The scheme was approved and Cllr Bottomley will get costings. ACTION: BB

13. Website: To receive an update on the design of the new website. Cllrs approved the design of the website. Editorial, pictures and information will now be collected together with a view to launching it in July.
ACTION: BB/JE

14. Spinney: To discuss and authorise expenditure incurred or actions required. Cllrs approved expenditure of £21.46 for the Spinney toilet. Cllr Higgins thanked volunteers for carrying out maintenance on Sunday 5 June.

15. Stewkley Wildlife Reserve: To discuss and authorise expenditure incurred or actions required. There was no expenditure in the period.

16. Finance
a. To review the budget monitoring report – this was agreed.

b. To draw cheques – to be confirmed at the meeting

Parish Council
Website development £1,290.00
Annual website hosting £132.00
Griffin Field Lighting £7,791.19
Spinney – toilet £21.46
Grass contract 394.11
Clerk 619.38
NP Printing & Stat 316.81
BALC Annual Subs 271.83
Best Kept Village expense 15.00

Recreation Association
Aerial runway repairs 513.60

17. Councillor’s General Items: to report on meetings attended on behalf of the Parish Council and agree whether to add to the next agenda.
a. A bad pothole for cyclists was reported by the entrance to the vicarage driveway. The Clerk to report on BCC website
b. A new noticeboard is required to replace the one in the burial ground car park. Cllr Bottomley to follow up
c. A drain is blocked on the approach road to the burial ground car park causing flooding at the gutter and across the road when it rains. The Clerk to report to BCC.
d. The dog bin is still absent in the burial ground car park. It was agreed that a new combined waste bin for litter and dog waste would be installed
e. A caravan at Upper Dean Farm is still being occupied and it is believed that the licence has expired. The Clerk to investigate.
f. Kerb stones are missing outside 37 Sun-Set, Dunton Road – the Clerk to report
g. Cllrs are unsure whether the tree that was removed without planning permission at The Coal Shed, Old Coal Yard has been replaced as required by AVDC. The Clerk to check.
h. A faulty manhole was reported at Dove Street. The Clerk to report

Date of next meeting: 4 July 2016

The meeting closed at 10.20pm