July 2016 – Parish Council Meeting Minutes

Minutes of the Meeting of Stewkley Parish Council held in the Village Hall
On Monday 4 July 2016 at 7.30pm

Attendees: Cllr J Wodey (Chair), Cllr B Bottomley, Cllr M Burgess, Cllr K Higgins, Cllr A Kennedy, Cllr G Morgan, Cllr C Pragnell, Cllr Pryke, Cllr P Smith, Janette Eustace (clerk) and five members of the public

1. Receive Apologies: Cllr J Blake, PCSO Paula Boston

2. Open Forum:

A resident attended the open forum to explain changes made to their planning application for 8 High Street North as a result of comments received from the PC, AVDC planners and residents. A resident attended the open forum to find out whether the PC would support moving a footpath that currently runs across the site for the new scout hut. A resident attended the open forum to provide an update regarding the plans for the proposed new chancery. He explained that the new plans had taken on board comments received from consultees, including moving the site further from the Church and not building on any known graves. A resident gave information about a road closure between Wing High Street and the A418 from 7-13 July for roadworks.

3. Declaration of interest in items on the agenda: There were none

4. To confirm the minutes of the previous PC Meeting on 6 June and deal with any matters arising that
are not covered on the agenda. The minutes were agreed. Matters Arising – re Item 5a) 16/01733/COUAR – Old Lower Dean Farm – the PC had supported the application but asked for the dwelling being classified for agricultural use only. AVDC Planning Officers advised the PC that it is not possible to attach agricultural ties to dwellings allowed under permitted development rights.

5. Planning: To discuss planning applications and make recommendations:
a. 16/02132/APP – Penfold End Farm, 7 Chapel Square – Conversion of attic. The Council resolved to OPPOSE the planning application on the following grounds: loss of privacy to neighbouring property due to overlooking of the new stair extension and the two new dormer windows in the two new bedrooms; insufficient provision for car parking for a five-bedroomed dwelling as the number of bedroom would increase from 3 to 5.
b. 16/02089/ALB, 16/02090/AAD – The Swan 1 Chapel Square – Externally illuminated signage. No drawings were available to view. The Clerk to contact Aylesbury Vale Planners to request an extension to the consultation period and details of the scheme. ACTION: JE

6. To discuss correspondence and communication received since last meeting and decide on any actions:
a. Letter from residents of Ivy Lane, registering concerns over the water drainage in Ivy Lane. Anglian Water had inspected for leaks and had confirmed that there were none. The PC agreed to write to Transport for Buckinghamshire and Cllr Janet Blake ACTION: JE

b. Update of Cllr Higgins’ meeting with Faccenda Foods. Cllr Higgins reported that Faccenda was sensitive to concerns about traffic and speed and had already taken pro-active action to minimise disturbance to the village with greater use of Dunton Rd and avoiding school congestion times. They were equally concerned about the narrowness of Dunton Rd and the poor road surface. It was reported that every 6-7 weeks approximately 1 million birds were transported to Brackley. During travel to school times (8-9am and 3-4pm) and during the night trucks use Dunton Road to exit the village. At other times trucks go through the village as this is a shorter route. There were also 7 trucks per day entering and leaving the village via Dunton Road with feed stuff. Drivers are instructed not to exceed 20 mph whilst in the village and trucks are fitted with telematics to monitor this. Faccenda Foods were open to the suggestion of providing support for community projects.
c. Police and Crime Commissioner survey – seeking views on policing and crime. Information to be placed on the notice boards and in the Grapevine to give parishioners an opportunity to respond.                                                                                                                                   ACTION: JE

d. Membership of AVALC Executive – 3 vacancies to be filled. There were no volunteers

e. BCC Local Flood Risk Management Strategy. Cllr Kennedy will produce a draft response to the consultation and circulate it to councillors before submitting it electronically ACTION: AK

f. NBPPC AGM and ordinary meeting – report of meeting held on 29 June. Cllr Smith reported that the minutes had been circulated and that housing provision had been the main topic. Parish Councils were encouraged to respond to the Vale of Aylesbury Local Plan.

g. VAHT – invitation to 10th birthday celebration – the event was noted

h. Rural Network Conference 6 Sept 2016 – the event was noted

7. Vale of Aylesbury Draft Local Plan (VALP). The plan is now available on the website and consultation ends 5 Sept 16. AVDC had organised a number of consultation events and it was agreed that Cllrs Pryke and Smith would attend the event for Town and Parish Councils to be held on 13 July. All other councillors would attend one of the advertised public sessions. A workshop would then be held for Parish Councillors and Neil Dickens, the Chair of the Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group, to discuss and agree a response to the consultation. The Clerk to arrange the workshop during week commencing 22 August and to register for the on-line survey. ACTION: All

8. Neighbourhood Plan: To receive an update from the Steering group and agree any actions arising. Neil Dickens commended AVDC for the format and ease of use of the VALP. He reported good progress from the nine working groups and highlighted the need to get external expert advice regarding sewage, traffic and housing and suggested a call for potential development sites to be featured in the Grapevine. The Clerk to source a list of local consultants and Cllr Prkye to produce a specification. Concerns were raised about Stewkley being listed as a potential site for a new settlement in the VALP but it was reported that this is likely to be removed in an updated version of the VALP. Minor expenditure relating to hall hire was to be expected. The next meeting of the Steering Group would be held on 6 July.
ACTIONS: AP/JE

9. Broadband: To receive an update regarding broadband proposals and agree any actions arising. It was reported that:
a. BT had submitted its proposals for the next roll-out of superfast broadband and, in due course, Connected Counties would be able to advise which post codes would benefit. Although BT Openreach is unlikely to install fibre to the home, steps are being taken to improve the current network with G-Fast (which claims to bring Ultrafast speeds via fibre of 300-500mbps) and Long range VDSL (which is targeted to achieve a minimum of 10mbps via copper up to 3 miles from the cabinet). However, both these programmes appear to be several years away.
b. AV Broadband would provide fibre network with a speed of 100 Mb/s; every customer would have a dedicated fibre between their house and AV equipment. The model requires the programme to be sponsored by a village champion (role to be shared by John Flewin and Keith Higgins). There is a target of 100 households to sign up and pay a £20 deposit before the programme would become viable. A Public Meeting will be held in the village hall on Tuesday 19th July at 8pm to provide more information to interested residents and to answer any questions.
c. Village Networks, a rural broadband provider, had written a letter of introduction to the Parish Council explaining that they had connected more than 1200 subscribers to their fixed wireless network with a service speed of up to 24Mbps. Village Networks stated that they already had coverage of large parts of Stewkley, especially High St South and the Soulbury Road and would be marketing to residents in parts of Stewkley over the next few weeks. The Parish Council will invite Village Networks to a future Open Forum. ACTION: JE

10. Recreation Ground:
a. To note progress towards the pavilion refurbishment and agree any actions arising. It was reported that the planning application had been approved and work was now underway to produce detailed building specification drawings. Fixed price tenders will then be invited from builders.
b. To discuss the issue of a drone being used at the Rec and determine any actions to restrict its use. The Council supported a suggestion from the Recreation Association to erect signs at the Rec prohibiting the use of drones.

11. Highways, Footways and Footpaths Lighting – to note highways issues and agree any actions arising
a. Anticipated roadworks in the High Street – complaints had been received about the tardiness in erecting road closure notices and the lack of direct notification to home owners affected. The PC had received road closure notices earlier but without specific dates.
b. Progress report regarding repairs to a verge in Dunton Rd, a leaking water main near 20 Wing Rd and other issues reported via the TfB portal. No update was available from TfB. Cllr Higgins made a proposal regarding repairs to the verge in Dunton Road. Action: KH
c. Replacement of litter bins – update on costs – councillors agreed to spend £800 on replacing the bins throughout the village
d. Overgrown trees, hedges and ditches – carried forward to a future meeting

12. Website: To receive an update on progress towards the development of the new website – the domain had now been set up and content is being developed with a view to going live during July.

13. Spinney: To discuss and authorise expenditure incurred or actions required. None were reported

14. Stewkley Wildlife Reserve: To discuss and authorise expenditure incurred or actions required. None were reported

15. Finance
a. To review the budget monitoring report – this was agreed
b. To draw cheques

Grass Cutting £624.47
Website £601.48
Village Hall hire £162.00
Tree works – Fishweir £1,170.00
Parish noticeboard signs £68.36
Clerk £505.35
Flowers – Village Pump £78.21
Stewkley Big Barbie £500.00
HMRC £358.40

Recreation Association
Fire Safety £84.00
Vacuum Cleaner £99.99

16. Councillor’s General Items: to report on meetings attended on behalf of the Parish Council and agree whether to add to the next agenda.
• Cllr Bottomley reported that the broken notice in the burial ground car park had been replaced and ‘Parish Notices’ signs above the village notice boards had been installed.
• It was reported that the Best Kept Village judging took place on 28 June. Cllrs Wodey and Morgan thanked John Flewin for all of his hard work and dedication in making the village look its best for BKV judging and for managing the BKV volunteer working group. John said that he had sent out thank you notes to more than 40 people who had helped directly, or whose organisations that had helped. He estimated that some 80 or more villagers had contributed and that others had gone out of their way to clean up their frontages. The results will be declared at the end of July.
• Cllr Burgess reported that parking around the war memorial was even worse, making it extremely difficult for motorists to see oncoming traffic
• Cllr Wodey confirmed that the Clerk’s appraisal had been undertaken
• Councillors confirmed their support to move the public footpath affecting the scout hut planning application. A route avoiding the area of ground reserved for the new burial ground was suggested.
• A memorial for the late Mr Michael Edwards was approved, subject to the size of the foundation stone being confirmed with the funeral director.

Date of next meeting: 1 Aug 2016

The meeting closed at 10.15pm